State vs Lehnberg

“In any event, the impression I gained from Dr. Morgan's evidence was that she relied for her finding principally on features which Dr. Shubitz also found to be present: absence of remorse, lack of guilt, defect in feeling for others and an absence of anxiety* 

Dr. Pascoe also found these features to be present but in the absence of any pattern of any irresponsible behaviour was not prepared to state that they proved that Lehnberg was a psychopath.

I find Dr. Pascoe's evidence clear and con­vincing and I do not think that on balance another Court would hold that the applicant has discharged the onus of proving that she is a psychopath, more particularly when it is remembered that notone of the four psychiatrists who examined Lehnberg before the trial came forward to say that she was -( 14 -)  a psychopath.» The most that can be said is that she displays some psychopathic tendencies»”



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE BURDEN OF PROOF IN SOUTH AFRICAN BAIL LAW

THE CONSTITUITONAL POSITION OF THE SUSPECT

BAIL MANUAL FOR SOUTH AFRICAN PRCTITIONERS